Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 1,My choosings from the Un-textbook

The Un-textbook is the most amazing book I have ever seen. I just spent way too long looking at all of the topics to choose from. It may be easier for me to list the topics that I am not interesting in reading, and I am not interested only because I don't know what those are yet! But if I had to pick my top five from the list but not in any order it would be:
www.fanpop.com

  • Alice in Wonderland- I have always loved this story so much!
  • Egyptian Myth- ancient civilizations are one of my favorite things!
  • Dante's Inferno-I have been studying this time period and Christianity and I am very interested in knowing more since I have not had the pleasure of reading Dante yet.
  • King Arthur-I want to know more about medieval tales of knights and chivalry. I have been studying the Crusades and I wonder how it all ties together.
  • Welsh (Thomas)-I am drawn to the stories.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so happy you like the UnTextbook, LaDawn! it worked really well last year (better than I expected in fact!), so I spent this past summer redoing the Indian Epics class in a kind of similar way. India is a place FULL of stories and storytelling traditions, so it was easy to put together a gigantic collection of stories there, just like for Myth-Folklore. I am glad you found items that intrigue you in such different weeks; the Egypt unit in particular is one that I really like because it contains both mythology (stories about Ra, Isis, Osiris, etc.) and also folktales (some really cool folktales, in fact)... so just by itself, that one unit merits the name "Mythology-Folklore." I will be curious to see which units really make an impression as you get into the actual reading for Week 2! Have fun!!!

    By the way, they are doing a really cool "group annotation" approach to Alice in Wonderland, with lots of remix artwork, that is happening right now! You might want to join in; I wrote about it here in the class Known:
    Public Domain Review: Annotated Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. The UnTextbook is very inspiring, I really like what you have shared with us for this class.

    ReplyDelete