Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 1, Curation

I love that the professor added curation as a topic. I have been using Pinterest for about five years. I have 146 boards for my interests and over 10,000 pins. I did not create special boards for this class because I already have a handful that relate like my collection of myth boards, magic and so forth. I have also been using twitter for about five years, but I am not as interested in tweeting as I am Pinterest. I will check out Known, but I am not sure it is a good fit for me.

A really interesting site to check out if you haven't is Tumblr. It has some really helpful ideas to boost your creativity. That is what I use it for, as a creative writing tool. An amazing website that I use constantly as a reference site is called Crystalinks. I have been a daily reader of the blog called Elllie's World Blog for about thirteen years. The Website has an archive of all kinds of information including mythology.

I do have my bookmarks in use and a folder just for this class, an invaluable tool to have. It is hard for me to remember to slow down and organize online sometimes. Creating a habit of always bookmarking and saving and making folders is very helpful. I try to be organized because life is always a balancing act. And my husband is in the IT field and when he looks at my computer and things are not filed in folders and it's all messy he gives me crap about it.


1 comment:

  1. OH WOW, LaDawn: I have seen people with tons of Boards and pins like that. How cool! If you can use this class as a way to keep on developing your Pinterest strategy. This is the first time I've done this assignment, and one of my motivations is that I had the impression that a lot of people (teachers AND students) don't have a curation strategy that they are really happy with... but you have already found something that is working really well! Tumblr is also a really useful tool; I kept a Tumblr blog for a while just to learn more about how it worked (I really liked the "random post" feature at a lot of Tumblr blogs).

    And that is so funny about your husband: some IT people really are organized about files and folders and all that... but not all of them (I know, because I worked for OU IT for a while!). Speaking for myself, I've gotten a lot more organized since I started using GoogleDocs. Before that, I used to get all confused with different copies of documents on different computers, but now I just have the one copy of each document in the cloud.

    And if I hear about a job drinking wine and looking at Pinterest, I will let you know right away, ha ha. I might have to apply too!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete