Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 1, Growth Mindset

The Growth Mindset by Carol Dweck is a new concept for me in that I was not aware of the name of it. I have a child and I have studied psychology a little. Praising children for things that are not well deserved or earned can create consequences for the child later when that is not how the world works. I am looking forward to learning more about the Growth Mindset.

 Having to have an A in a class is not the most important thing, learning something in the class is the most important thing. I stress this in my household, because all three of us are students. My daughter is a freshman this year at Norman High, my husband is a full time college student with all online classes through OSU IT, and I am a full time student at OU. There have been times when I did not get an A in a class because I had to miss some classes because of an illness. It does not mean I did not learn to an A standard, I may have learned even beyond that standard and it's just not reflected in the grade. It is also an opportunity to see what I could have chosen to do differently. 

All people learn differently. I think it is good to challenge ourselves and push our limits to see what we are capable of. I really like the story that the professor shared with us of how she was exposed to an open style of learning as a child. I would love to see more of those choices available for children. I do not agree at all with the current standards of learning in schools. It wastes their time and potential. 

When I was in seventh grade, nearly a million years ago, my math class was set to work at your own pace. There were kids in the class that finished the book and moved onto the next grades book. I never made it past the fiftth chapter the whole year. Consequently I was behind in math the next year when I moved to a different state. It left a permanent deficiency in my math abilities, and in my faith in myself. It was not until 2006 when I decided to go back to college that I had to teach myself math to pass my college math courses. The campus I went to in Mountain Home Arkansas did not have professors for anything below College Algebra. It was an online course. I gained more confidence teaching myself, and facing the challenge rather than to give up.

One thing that I have found in my learning style is that I hate to work in groups. I am old, and I am used to doing things on my own, not as a team. Well, what I learned is that even todays generation don't work well in groups. It is something that I had to do in nearly all of my classes at OCCC. One of the reasons for this is because we are a global society and many other cultures work as groups. Many career fields these days require work groups as well. It causes me stress, it does not make things easier, it only makes things more difficult.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is great, LaDawn! I had not even thought about that but yes, there are always students in these online classes who have children (online classes are so much more flexible for people with family obligations! that's true for me too, as we are caring for my very elderly father-in-law)... anyway, growth mindset is something that is really big in parenting, as it is also in education. One of the growth mindset challenges I had thought about was talking to a child about growth mindset: maybe you can talk to your child and see what you learn!

    And group dynamics can be complicated! Since I put a big emphasis in this class on people working based on their own schedules, group work is not really practical, but I definitely believe in NETWORKS, which are more flexible than groups. My hope is that everybody in the class will start to feel connected with everybody else in class, so that when you are writing, you feel connected to the other people in class, and as you read other people's blogs, you can be getting ideas from them, so everybody's work can improve by networking like that.

    Anyway, these classes are a perpetual work in progress. I will appreciate your feedback and it is so cool that you have worked through all these assignments already. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for allowing us to start working on the assignments early, it has been such a blessing. We did talk about growth mindset after this exercise, thank you for sharing it. I agree that networks are great.

    ReplyDelete