Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Week 12, Extra Reading Diary,Myth-Folklore Unit: More Celtic Fairy Tales

Myth-Folklore Unit: More Celtic Fairy Tales

The Fate of the Children of Lir
...so she drove the children of Lir into the lake to bathe, and they did as Oifa told them....
As soon as they were upon the lake, she struck them with a Druid's wand of spells and wizardry and put them into the forms of four beautiful, perfectly white swans, and she sang this song over them...

I like this story the best out of the half unit that I read. It actually reminds me of a song I love so much by Loreena McKennitt called Bonny Swans. It is a bit different in that the  story is about a group of sisters instead of a wicked step mother. I wonder if this is where the author found the inspiration for this song! I enjoyed this story more than that of the McAndrews. I could not find anything to identify with on that half of this half unit! 
I love the motif of the lake. Water plays such a magical role in so many stories. The birds plays such magical roles as well. I love the shape shifting myths that find their way into so many different world myths as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment