Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Week 14, Reading Diary, Reading Diary A,Myth-Folklore Unit: Italian Popular Tales


Myth-Folklore Unit: Italian Popular Tales
The Story of Crivoliu
www.dailymail.co.uk


So this story touched me a bit. First off, it reminded me a little of the biblical story of Moses. Then when the abandoned baby grows up to be a holy man and finally a Pope I was surprised. The story starts out so strangely, with a brother and sister incest taboo, then abandoning a baby after branding it. A fisherman finds the baby. This also seems a reference to the Christian fish symbol to me. 

This was such a strange unit as a whole. This half of the unit is really not what I expected. The last story where the Cock wanted to be the Pope. I had to look up how many Popes there had been. I thought, well of course there would be literature focused on being a Pope in Italy!  The story of the three goslings and the wolf! Whoa, I guess we know where the three little pigs and the wolf come from! They must be related. One of the stories was like the farmer in the dell. The other one was surely an inspiration for Dr. Suess. I had fun reading this last unit of stories!

1 comment:

  1. I read this unit as well and loved it. I hadn't made the connection to Moses when I read that particular story, but now I definitely see it. I also had the same thought when there were apparently so many popes popping up. I liked how many connections there were to more modern day stories as well, especially the one that was like the three little pigs. I think there's another story in one of the units that is a lot like this, but I can't exactly remember

    ReplyDelete