Sunday, October 25, 2015

Week 4, Storytelling, Book of Thoth, Portfolio


Vatican Library libguides.slu.edu


Before the time of the fall of Atlantis, there were many gods and goddesses that roamed the earth, or so we are told in many old documents. Many of these old documents, are hard to find. Most were burned in the great fires of Alexandria. Some books remain yet to be found, but certain ones are held by the Library of the Catholic Church. The book Nathan wanted to find was about the ibis-headed god Thoth and his emerald tablets. The ancient Egyptians held him sacred in their myths as a scribe, and deity of the moon and magic.

Nathan had spent his life almost like the character in the movies called Indiana Jones. He traveled around searching for the treasures of antiquity to learn more about the culture and lives of the amazing people that lived before us. He was obsessed with finding what seemed to be the key to what he was searching for, the Emerald Tablets, the philosopher's stone. He had traced the clues all the way to Rome. Looking around the dizzying sights of the repository of knowledge, he heard a hearty chuckle, and he turned around.

"Why are you laughing at me?" said Nathan.

"Because you read these worthless writings," answered the priest. "If you would read writings that are worth the reading, I can tell you where the Book of Thoth lies hidden."

Nathan was shocked to hear the old man claim to know such esoteric facts, much less say them out loud. Well, whispered really, because they were sitting in the musty old Vatican Library, after all. Nathan was there to procure information on a most sought after relic, but he was puzzled at how an old leathery Catholic priest would come to hold this sort of knowledge. Some things we just never get to know.

"How do I know that what you say is true?" Nathan queried.




Image of a box philipcoppens.com


When the priest had taken the money that was agreed upon before the clandestine meeting, he said ominously to Nathan, "Be suspicious of anything that fulfills all our heart's desires."

The Book is at Koptos in the middle of the river.
In the middle of the river is an iron box,
In the iron box is a bronze box,
In the bronze box is a keté-wood box,
In the keté-wood box is an ivory-and-ebony box,
In the ivory-and-ebony box is a silver box,
In the silver box is a gold box,
And in the gold box is the Book of Thoth.
Round about the great iron box are snakes and scorpions and all manner of crawling things, and above all there is a snake which no man can kill. These are set to guard the Book of Thoth.

The old man handed the information on the paper to Nathan. Tingling with excitement, Nathan headed out to find the lost box and bring this all-encompassing search for immortality to an end. Against the wishes of his wife and family, he would not stop until he accomplished this near impossible mission. But he had prayed too long and hard, and had too much success already to believe he should abandon his fool's task. Indeed, he felt that his God was on his side because of all the sacrifices and promises he made to God if he would just let him find this one thing. Feeling as if his life's work was the single most important thing in the world, Nathan should take the time to quickly call his wife from the airport in Rome, before he makes a quick trip to Egypt to fetch his treasure, to share his great news, but maybe he should wait until he had even better news to share with his gorgeous wife, Melusina.








Thoth, a god of ancient Egypt.  www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk

Author's note: The original story The Book of Thoth: Part One is exciting to me because I have always been fascinated by the Egyptian God Thoth and his Emerald Tablets.Thoth is  the ibis-headed deity that is a scribe and known for his great knowledge that he brought to earth. In my story I inserted the directions to find the tablets and used the exact wording of the Book of Thoth used in the original version. I also find it interesting that there are so many myths using the symbol of a magical box, or an ark that may or may not hold sacred tablets, such as the Ark of the Covenant that holds the Tablets of Moses, the famous box of Pandora that held all sorts of things, etc. it must be an ancient archetype.

 I am having fun lately telling  old stories in a modern twist, which is what I tried to do by updating the when of this story. In the original version there is a character named Nefer-ka-ptah that I have renamed Nathan, and his wife Melusina is Ahura in the original story. There are three parts to this story, and I only concentrated on the first part of the story, how Nathan finds the information of how to find the emerald tablets. Nefer-ka-ptah finds the tablets in the original tale, and when Thoth finds out that they are stolen he seeks revenge on Nefer-ka-ptah and his family. I aim to change the fate of the seeker Nathan so that his meeting with the magician Thoth will be more colorful. More like time travel. Death ends the adventure too soon.

Stay tuned for more episodes of what adventures lay in wait for Nathan. I really like the character Nathan, the Seeker. I would like to use him throughout the portfolio assignment in his many travels across space, time and adventure! He is THE fallen master (the name of my blog).






Bibliography:
Egypt: The Book of Thoth: Part One



This story is part of the Ancient Egypt unit. Story source:Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907)
.

8 comments:

  1. Hi LaDawn,
    While I was reading your story, one of the things that stuck out to me was that your main character, Nathan, seemed like such a kid in a candy store. It was all excitement. “Nathan would quickly call his wife from the airport to make a quick trip to Egypt” was one of the lines that stayed with me the most. It just struck me as funny. Overall, I think it was an interesting story. It seemed to end so quickly though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LaDawn,
    While I was reading your story, one of the things that stuck out to me was that your main character, Nathan, seemed like such a kid in a candy store. It was all excitement. “Nathan would quickly call his wife from the airport to make a quick trip to Egypt” was one of the lines that stayed with me the most. It just struck me as funny. Overall, I think it was an interesting story. It seemed to end so quickly though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, LaDawn! I really enjoyed the creativity and vocabulary you used in your story. Your story went into such detail and really enticed me as a reader. I really liked your way of telling the story. I need to take note of some of the words you use and start using better vocabulary in my stories. You did a really great job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have a good start to your Portfolio! I like that you gave the character a rather common name and not something we have to wonder how to pronounce. Since the story is about Mythology mostly I think it is important that the reader can connect with the main character. I think placing pictures within the story has good and bad qualities. I think I would be more descriptive of the surroundings and especially of personal qualities. By doing that you would be able to help the reader make their own picture. I would like to know what Nathan looked like for an example. I did like the picture of the box that shows us what he is looking for. I did not find grammatical errors other than, Indiana Jones movies, I did not know if you wanted to compare him to all of them or just giving an example. It sounds like it is going to be an interesting portfolio! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good introduction to your portfolio! It introduces your main character (and supporting character, even though she is only name dropped vs appearing) and his background, goals and focus.
    Don't forget to capitalise words after quotation marks. While short sentences after dialogue can be useful to keep the flow, it also helps to have longer, descriptive sentences. Instead of having just 'said Nathan', you could describe movements, emotional hints.

    Example:
    "Why are you laughing at me?" said Nathan.

    Suggestion:
    "Why are you laughing?" Nathan asked curiously. The old priest made a sweeping gesture and while his laughter had finally faded, a wide smile stayed on his face. Nathan wasn't sure if he was annoyed or intrigued. He pressed for an answer again. "Are you laughing at me?"

    I also suggest moving the YT vid to under your author's note just for aesthetic reasons. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you get the name “Nathan” from Nathan Drake of the Uncharted game franchise? This caught my attention since he is the game version of “Indiana Jones” which you also referenced in your story. That is a lot of boxes to get through for a book. I felt like it was going to be like one of those multiple box pranks and inside the last box would be a note telling to go find another box that had the real book haha. Also, that priest kind of popped out of nowhere with that chuckle of his. The story left an adventurous impression, but I wish there was more to the story since it ended with Nathan heading out to find the book. It really had a modern twist and was enjoyable to read. I hope to find out more how Nathan will either succeed or fail in obtaining the Book of Thoth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story had a good start. The background story that you started with makes the reading later easier. The story just makes more sense with the background story. I saw in your author's note that you chose an easier name for your character was very helpful. I spend too much time trying to pronounce the difficult names. Keeping the same name through out the portfolio is an easy way to keep the story tied together. The last sentence I had to read a few times. It was really long. I was having trouble understanding the flow of it. Both pictures you have included were helpful. The library picture you chose, I liked it because I saw Nathan looking for books in a large beautiful library and that picture is about what I pictured! Good story!

    ReplyDelete