Thursday, October 8, 2015

Week 7, Extra Reading Diary,Folklore of Laos,


Photo via World Press Photo.
World's largest cave.



All devices were tried to obtain the treasure, and from all parts of the country the people came to try to overcome the charm which the spirits had placed upon the cave, but no one was able to break it. One man went even into the treasure chamber and filled his hands with the precious stones, but he was overcome by a deadly sickness and was forced to replace the jewels in the treasure chest and flee for his life so as to escape the wrath of the guarding spirits.
This tidbit is awesome, it reminds me of so many other stories, but especially the stories I have been reading in this class, one particular that has to do with the story of Thoth and the Emerald Tablets. I may need to use this concept again later. I often think back to the line in the Emerald Tablets story that talks about the snake that no one can kill. I think it's part of a charm and a bit of a riddle. I absolutely love that spirits are watching over this treasure in the Laos folktale. I feel like these stories most likely have more truth to them than tales. Coming from the Southwestern United States, I am aware of many Native American tales as well as some from South America and Mexico. They too have many tales about treasures and caves. It is also thought that the spirits safeguard the secrets. This was my favorites story in the Laos folktales. But I liked how all of them seemed to flow together, and they were easy reads.
(Plain of Jars, Laos)
The spirits departed with the money, and to this day, the stone mortars are scattered about the streets of that city, and when strangers ask why they are there and what use is made of them, this story will be told, and all people say it is verily the truth, for do you not see them with your eyes, and how else could they have come here, had not the spirits brought them?
This is my second favorite story in this unit, which is about the stone mortars. This again strikes a chord with me because it relates to other megalithic stone cultures that are scattered all over the globe. I do not know much about Laos, or the Asian cultures in general so I get excited when I find things that fit into my interests and relates to other neat things. I think it is safe to say that the people who live in Laos area did not make these large stone objects, which is why they say the spirits did it. This is why this stuff gets put into the myth category because it is an unknown. Perfect for writing some good stories about!


Bilbiography:This story is part of the Laos unit. Story source: Laos Folk-Loreby Katherine Neville Fleeson, with photographs by W.A. Briggs (1899).

No comments:

Post a Comment