Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Extra Reading Diary, Myth-Folklore Unit: Persian Tales, Week 4

scottgardener.deviantart.com

This was not one of my favorite units that I have read. It is the A side. I don't want to read the B side if it is like the A side. These stories did not make a lot of sense, they did not appeal to me. I love the way that they all started out with at one time there was no god, and then it launches right into the stories It really has the feel of Muslim pillar of Islam, that there is no god except Allah, Muhammad is a messenger of Allah.  I have a lot of respect for the beautiful religion of Islam. But these stories seemed harsh. The one story that I like the most is the story of The Wolf-Aunt. The notes on the story helped me to better understand what was happening as far as it is a custom to not like the fathers sister, that aunt was to be feared. So they villainized the lady whom was alone for whatever reason and create a sense of separation through a sense of fear and mistrust. I really like the sort of unspoken moral of the story; dude listen to your wife when she tells you something important even if it sounds completely absurd!
It is interesting to me to note, the theme of the Lycanthrope across many cultures. Because this one starts out like it is written after the timeline of Muhammad, it makes me wonder if it has an oral tradition that predates it, and if so, does it predate the Roman myths of the Lycanthrope (or even the She-Wolf that raised Romulus and Remis)? What is the connection across the various cultures. Is this also how we get the stories of Little Red Riding Hood? Is she an offshoot of more antiquated stories? There are lots of wolf stories. I wonder now if the wolf is more symbolic of a person or family crest.

No comments:

Post a Comment