Saturday, September 12, 2015

Week 3, Storybook Styles

For my storybook styles I am thinking for my number one choice would be narrated, third-person story-teller in a frame-style where I get to create the characters. I really want to do a modern version of the old tales, sorta like the television series Once Upon A Time, that use the same characters per se, but with a plot twist set in modern times. I think it would be interesting to use many characters in a town that are all from mythology, but a single thread that weaves all the stories together, like, the Goddesses are all related and are married to mortals, so they have a Mortal's Wive's club. They all meet at the enchanted country club and secretly run the show.
community.ew.com


For my number two choice, I was thinking about telling the story of Melusina in a frame-style that is set in the mystical island of Avalon, where over periods of time she meets different people. Because of the mysts, time works differently. The island is a resort for the magically inclined, whether or not the people are immortal, time works differently there. Who knows who could wind up finding their way into the mystical myst....Merlin, James Dean, who knows.
vuenick.deviantart.com

For my number three choice, I was thinking of telling the story of Melusina kind of like the television series from my childhood, Bewitched. Again using the frame-style so I have complete control of the characters and what they can get into for fun. I loved the mother-in-law on the show, Endora the witch, and her witch doctor and silly forgetful aunt, twin sister that would love to cause trouble, too much fun! And the mortal husband, and half mortal children, the nosy neighbors. I think it would be too much fun to re-spin Melusina the River Goddess into the stay at home mom married to a mortal of today. I think that every Saturday she has to go get a pedicure, to explain the disappearances.
www.beautylaunchpad.com


My choice number four would be to try to write a more historical attempt at trying to write about Melusina meeting Raymond, and talk about how their bloodline is connected to the blood royal and how the family tree is connected to supernatural and pagan and Christian deities. I leave this choice for last because it really may cause some of the readers in this class to be uncomfortable with the ideas that I would suggest of Mary being related to Melusina.


okmer.deviantart.com


Overall, I am looking forward to making a fun story that will be fun to write, and fun to read. I like the ideas of taking a bit of inspiration of an old myth and resurrecting it into a modern tale that we can relate to. I like the frame-style of telling things so I can have freedoms that are more restrictive when using a retelling of the story style. I like to use as many parallels a to characters and ideas so that the reader can see the comparisons, but try to also let it be able to stand on its own.

Bibliography Information:
Source: Thomas Keightley, The Fairy Mythology, Illustrative of the Romance and Superstition of Various Countries (London: H. G. Bohn, 1850), pp. 480-82.

No comments:

Post a Comment