Sunday, September 27, 2015

Week 6, Extra Reading Diary,Stories from Congo



www.e-architect.co.uk
Congo School

I read this half unit as my extra reading stories this week, reading list a. I was reluctant at first because I am not really into stories about animals or tribal thing often. I was pleasantly surprised by reading this unit how much I found that I related to these stories. I like this unit, except how much I am tired of reading names of things that are strange.  I am so over it. It is hard for me to visualize a person or animal or whatever when it bears a name that is so unusual, and then it's a disaster when all the names are unusual. I cannot keep the characters straight. It took me a really long time to read through the Brer Rabbit stuff, and I was super thankful to read these stories that I did not have to read, then read outloud and then re-read in a strange accent. I am very over that too. I tried to write in the thick accent and it was too hard for me to do. I lost patience, but I will use the skill in the future in small tidbits to accentuate a verbal exchange in a story. Probably more of an accent I am accustomed to, like Spanish, or west coast surfer, or new age hippy. Yes that just happened.

I am seeing a pattern throughout the whole unit that was all about marriage. Some were told from the male perspective and some from the female point of view. The villains were also inverse of each other. The stories were a lot like the actual fairytales with real fairies that play tricks. Maybe they share common origin or they could just be a result of rural folklore. Best yet, it could be based on the actual truth in the stories, magic. This is by far the best answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment