Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week 2, Brainstorm for Storybook topics

jinxmim.deviantart.com

I was beside myself happy to find this particular myth available and an option for this assignment. I just ran across the myth of this River Goddess that is briefly mentioned, a few months ago while binge watching the television series called The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory. I immediately was drawn to find out more about her. I want to write a book about her. I think it would make a super interesting fantasy novel. This could help me to develop a really good start on some research for this personal side project!
So I think it is safe to say that anything to do with the topic of Mermaids will help me to find inspiration and resources are fair game for this topic. But I really like the Legend of Melusina in France story, as I feel it may hold more truth to the tale since it has to do with the Crusader Raymond. It would also explain historically how it genetically ties into the bloodlines of the blood royal for France and England. I love that there is historical roots, and that it is myth, so it lends to use of imaginative creativity!
Bibliography Information:
Source: Thomas Keightley, The Fairy Mythology, Illustrative of the Romance and Superstition of Various Countries (London: H. G. Bohn, 1850), pp. 480-82.




I am attracted to the myths of women and water, so naturally Aphrodite comes to mind with the story of how she was created and it's connection to water. I am currently studying a lot of Roman information with my class load this semester, so I may also want to look at her counterpart of Venus in that pantheon of deities. I think the water and women motif has a particular archetype that is important in our human consciousness. The Greeks of course did everything first so I want to start with the Greek ideas and expand into a more modern tale that is someone we identify with now. I think this may relate also to the connection to the Melusina story line for me as well, if I can find a way to incorporate it.


Bibliography Information:
Source:http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Aphrodite.html

The ancient Sumerian Goddess Inanna Queen of Heaven and Earth is my personal favorite Goddess of all time. Her stories are amazing. I have ready many books on her by V.S. Ferguson many years ago. I have a fixation with the Anunnaki and the Planet Nibiru. It is part of why the television series Ancient Aliens is my favorite show. I spent twenty years reading books about what they have put into television shows in neat little hour long episodes. The absolute coolest job I can imagine would be to write and do the research for that show. They use evidence, and then speculate and always say, "I am not saying it was aliens, but it was the aliens." It is fun and we do not have hard evidence, but it does seem to point to the origin of the deities and human origins or  are not of this planet, no matter which creation myth or religion you choose. 
I like that the aspect of Goddess is a young empowered woman. She seems to also be an aspect of the later Greek myth of the deity of Aphrodite, and I did not know that but it makes sense somehow. Now I see why I chose the ideas I have been attracted to, they may all be of the same archetype as the brilliant psychologist Carl Jung would point out.
Bibliography Information:
Source: Ancient History Encyclopedia http://www.ancient.eu/Inanna/





themotherhouseofthegoddess.com

I love the story of the Goddess Isis. She has the wisdom to put Osiris back together and be a single parent. I actually own a print of the image above. I have had it for about 18 years. Isis is a very powerful female figure that is often thought to be a earlier archetype of the Christian concept of the Virgin Mary, and many other archetypal images of other Goddesses of other cultures. I think I can find all kinds of information on Isis from the untextbook, to the sacred texts. 
I think that all four of my choices are good choices that could lead to great stories, with enough information to find on all of them. I love them all. It is hard for me to choose one. I am also more drawn to do a portfolio rather than to do a storybook. But it sounds like sometimes people may change their minds after doing the first few class projects. I will try to be open minded with my ideas.

Bibliography Information:
Source:This story is part of the Ancient Egypt unit. Story source:Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907).








No comments:

Post a Comment