Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Week 5, Extra Reading diary,Myth-Folklore Unit: Welsh Fairy Tales (Emerson)

Myth-Folklore Unit: Welsh Fairy Tales (Emerson)

"FAIRY QUEEN MEDBH OF THE SIDHE" celticanamcara.blogspot.com
The Fairy of the Dell (cont.)
"...and you shall be known to the poorest of the poor as Madame Dorothy."
And the woman did as she was told, and she became renowned for her medical skill, especially in childbirth, for her salve eased the pains, and her waters brought milk. By-and-by, she got known all over the island, and rich people came to her from afar, and she always made the rich pay, and the poor were treated free."


I read this half unit and loved it, I am sucked into the unit now. I unfortunately must read the rest at another time due to time restriction of other class projects at hand. I loved reading about how the Bretoons and the Welsh have traced their heritage back to the great city of Troy. I would imagine that this may be a left over story from the Romans when they were in the area of France, Spain and England. None the less, very interesting. I am particularly drawn to the stories of the fairies of the European nature more than other cultures. I honestly believe that the Fay are in my family tree. 
I have highlighted the main point that I found in this unit that set me to inspiration. The Fairy Queen cast out demons and broke a contract between an evil witch and the devil?! That is what I did not expect out of the stories. Usually magical contracts cannot be revoked. Usually fairy tales do not have a happy ending. This one is different for sure. Not only did the Queen help the witch, but turned her into a loving person in the community that helps and heals people. This is my favorite part of all.

All of the rest of the stories about people finding money is cool too. Several times in my life I have found money and when I really needed it badly too. The universe works in mysterious ways. Hubris will kill the good intentions everytime. That is the moral there. Be kind, be thankful, do not boast of your luck, and also make sure to help others less fortunate. In good stories or otherwise, this is sage advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment