Sunday, September 27, 2015

Week 6, Storytelling, Myth-Folklore Unit: Brer Rabbit, The Story of the Deluge


(illustration by A. B. Frost)
Mole don't see w'at his naber doin'.

I loved this Proverb, especially because in their neck of the woods, all the Brer animals knows what everybody else is doing.


Brer Owl, the oldest and wisest of owls in a long line of wizen old owls in the Brer, decided to tell the story that was always  told to the new hatchlings while their parents left the nest for the dinner hunt. It is good to know where you come from, knowing your roots help make you a wise old owl.

"ONE time —one time, way back yander, way back yander 'fo' enny un us wuz bomed, de animils en de creeturs sorter 'lecshuneer roun' 'mong deyselves, twel at las' dey 'greed fer ter have a 'sembly..."


The syncopation in the ancient owls raspsy southern drawl had an effect that was perfect at putting
baby owls to sleep. But while their tiny little eyes, all eight of them, were open and focused, their grandpa told the most amazing stories of the animals before the flood came and changed it all.
And of course the most important animal at the town gathering around was the owl. They are most wise and help to hear the other animals quarrels and complaints. Being the most observant and saying very little, they always were in the know. The animals had all congregated together in a town meeting to take care of their gripes and concerns when an elephant stepped on a crawfish. There was a Lion who was a mighty king, and camels too. Someday they would get to see such  amazing creatures when the circus comes to town, like it does every spring. Except the unicorns, they don't get to come and  play anymore.

"What are you lil goobers doin' up?" scolded the Mother Owl playfully.

"Pappy wus tellin us da story mudder. He telled da story bout how'd the waters got biggun deep nah washed up da lands and animilis gone. On counts a da elephants caint watch they steppin' so good." chirped the little baby owl with sleepy little eyes. Then his little eyes shut tight and he fell fast asleep dreaming of all the animals that his grandpa brought to life in his vivid imagination. 

The tired and satiated proud Father Owl looks lovingly upon his tiny Brer Owl brood and closes his eyes, knowing that soon he too will be the grandpa owl passing on the family stories, keeping the past alive.


Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit  leahstps.wordpress.com


Author's Note: I have several reasons why I chose this unit this week. First of which is because I loved the Disney movie Song of the South when I was very young. Of course due to some it's offensive content, it has not been popular available in a long time.  So I thought as an educated  adult I would like to re-examine the story and view it not from the eyes of an innocent child that loved everything Disney animated. 
I had to add the Brer Owl as my character to tell my story. It is extremely hard to write in the style chosen by the original author.

 I find that I am intrigued at the ability to write words as they would sound in broken English with a distinctly thick Southern Plantation era accent. It is not often as a student that we get the opportunity to use such creative license to butcher up our language and things work out okay. That being said, I would like to try this,  and smiled as I watched my spell check do backflips. I always found it cool to read an author who had a style that they used that would set them apart in their writings, but my teachers always said I needed to know the rules before I could break them, become famous and then I could do it my way. This is cool though, because it captures a historical time in our country. The words used here bring such a visual, of course helped along if you have ever been to the south, or watched the Disney version, or read the books etc. 

Bibliography: This story is part of the Brer Rabbit unit. Story source: Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings by Joel Chandler Harris (1881).

6 comments:

  1. Hey LaDawn! I enjoyed reading your story. I like the idea of a grandpa owl telling his grand-owls fun stories. I didn't really understand what stories he was telling though, so if you went in to more detail about that it would be helpful. I also think it would add something to your story if you described the owls' appearances. It's always useful to me if I can picture the characters. I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LaDawn!

    Having grandpa owl tell his grandbabies a story to put them to sleep was so sweet. It reminded me of my own childhood when my grandpa put me to sleep stories! I also like how you gave him his own Southern slang! That reminded me of were I am from and how all the old men talk there! You could probably put a translation of what he was saying in parenthesis thought because not everyone can follow that kind of talk! You did a good job though of setting up the story and explaining why you chose it in your author's note! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey LaDawn!
    I loved the way that you decided to tell this story. The language that you used had s much voice and I found myself reading it out loud with that thick drawl and it made me chuckle a little! You write very well and you definitely have a knack for storytelling! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!

    I am very impressed by how you told this story! The southern slang was definitely something that made me hear this story as I read it. It was as if I was there while the dialogue was going on. Great job on doing that!
    I have never heard about this Disney story so I was surprised to find out that it was. I think your Author's note is the best that I have ever come across. You do a really good job in detailing what you did and what approach you took in your storytelling. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI LaDawn!
    This story was unlike anything you have written. I can fully understand why it was hard to write this. It was hard for me to read but I can see why the story needed to be written like this. I haven't read any stories like this one. The way you chose to write it gives makes the story so much better. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete