Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week 3, extra reading diary

musee.louvre.fr
Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss

For my extra reading this week I chose to do the unit of Cupid and Psyche. I had not read much of classic literature before this current semester. The first few weeks of this semester I have had the opportunity of reading bits of Ovid's Metaphorophes in every class. It has really been a great read and I am drawn to keep reading all of it. So I was supposed to read a half unit for the assignment. I plead guilty that I could not stop at half. I had to keep reading. 
So I have learned that I love Ovid. I have learned that the Gods are mean, and it is a bulls-eye on your back if you are born beautiful. These old myths don't seem to have happy endings at all. It seems like they are bragging rights to Gods and Goddesses that they can interfere with humans and cause all kinds of heartache with little or no consequence. I think that modern day-time television and maybe all our reality tv shows are templates from the old Gods and Goddesses antics.
I don't really understand why Cupid had to be invisible to Psyche in the fist place though. Or why a drop of candle would cause a God so much grief. Why is it too that all the Gods and Goddesses are so fickle with their love relations? My heart breaks for this poor girl Psyche. My heart also breaks for Cupid. I think they both get a raw deal.
In the stories, Cupids mom is making his life miserable, as well as his wife who really loves her husband and also misses her dysfunctional family. It goes to show many morals I think too. The one about money and all you can want are not the same as having friends and family. It just doesn't replace love at all. If you do have beauty, wealth and an amazing Greek God of a husband it will end badly. Jealousy is going to move the heavens to cause you harm if you have it all. Geez. 
I guess this may be where we get the whole ignorance is bliss. If you have a normal boring life, not too much to write home about, you may live long enough to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment