Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Week 5, Reading Diary B,Holy Land: The Deaths of Moses and Aaron,Reading Diary




Moses and Aaron bibleencyclopedia.com

"On entering, they were much surprised to see a handsome couch to which was attached an inscription stating that it was intended for the use of the person whose stature it would fit. The bedstead was tried in succession by all of the party, and when Harûn came to lie there, it exactly suited him."
It seems strange to me that the death of Moses brother Aaron was predestined and so magic laden. But I bet this is part of the cosmogeny to explain how things happen in retrospect. It reminds me a bit of Cinderella's  story with the fancy shoe fitting perfectly. It is interesting how much Moses and Aaron had interactions with Angels and with Allah. The story is so personal to them/for them. It reminds me in a way of the Sleeping Beauty story with the poisoned apple that finished off Moses.
 "...who was the Angel of Death in disguise, offered him an apple. Mûsa, having accepted and smelt at it, expired immediately."

Also after reading this unit I had to ask myself some questions that I do not have answers to. I thought I remembered from the Bible that Moses was a Hebrew and his mother had cast him into the river in a basket and was found by Pharoh's daughter or whoever, and was raised as an Egyptian. When he found his Hebrew slave mother, he asked Pharoh to set his people free. He kills an Epytian slave master and he leaves Egypt with some Hebrew Slaves and sets off for the promised land. I remember tha Aaron is the Highest Priest that wears the breastplate (possibly the Umim and Thumim) and that he did the magic snake bit with his staff in front of Pharoh, who's magicians also knew how to do. But I do not remember how it is at all possible that Aaron can be Mose's brother. Is Aaron his Egyptian brother? Is he a Hebrew slave that is a High Priest? I must figure this out. I also find it interesting that in the Biblical reference, Moses does not make it to the Promised Land, dies before the people get there after wandering around for 40 years. But in this story of the Holy Land, Moses was promised by Allah he could live long and choose his time of death. Also this is sorta sneaky and shady of Allah(God) to trick both of these brothers into death. Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment